Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Humanis Rex is the title of a science fiction comic book series written, drawn and colored by Gerry Alanguilan being serialized by Fudge Magazine in the Philippines.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Working With a Brush


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Humanis Rex #2 is the first piece of work I drew almost exclusively with a brush. I used a Hunts #102 on some backgrounds, and I did use tech pens on the guns, but the brush is what I used on the figurework, hair, cross hatchings, clothing, grass, etc.

Working with a brush is so fantastic. I love the softness of the linework and the speed in which I finished the page. I drew this in half the time I did Humanis Rex #1. Now I don't know if there are any drawing I'll do in the future without using it, except of course my inking job with Leinil on Silent Dragon, which requires the use of the smallest tech pen point for the insanely intricate microscopic linework.

4 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

meron po bang Hunts #102 sa National Bookstore? gusto ko rin po kasing matutunan pag-gamit ng brush sa inking.. salamat po!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Gerry Alanguilan said...

Sa National Bookstore, you can get the Speedball Artist Pen Set which includes several Speedball points as well as a few quills including just one Hunts #102. I don't know where in the Philippines you can buy #102 in bulk but you might want to try Joli's near the corner of Espana and Forbes, beside UST. That's the last place where I saw a bunch of them for sale.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's only a small sample I'm seeing but I like it better than the pen work. There's just more life to the piece. I hope you stick with the brush more. Reminds me a bit of some of Robert Crumb's portraits he did in brush. Have you ever tried the Windsor Newton Series 7 brushes?

8:27 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Brush rule! I tried using brush before and it's same feeling like what you just said. The softness of lines are great. I might try using brush again...practicing that is.

Awesome work, Gerry!

-ed

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home